Wednesday Mar 17, 2021
Hard Conversations-Episode 4: Engaging with diverse communities: Diana Bernard- Seniors Rights Service.
'Hard conversations' is a 6 part podcast series exploring the complexity of elder abuse.
In this 4th episode we talk with Diana Bernard. Diana was the former manager of education and special projects at the Seniors Rights Service. She will talk about their work in the area of elder abuse and some of the strategies they use in their education work with diverse communities.
Throughout this series you will hear from lots of different people about their understanding of elder abuse, the ways they think about it in their communities and how we can start to address it together.
There is no one right answer, there are lots of things we can do to help people who may be experiencing or are at risk of elder abuse and we will talk about some of them.
This series has been made in partnership with the Legal Aid NSW Central Coast Elder Abuse Service, and the Central Coast Community Legal Centre.
Other episodes of hard conversations:
- Ep1: Talking about elder abuse
- Ep2: Working with first nations communities
- Ep3: Working with CALD communities
- Ep5: Rural and regional communities
- Ep6: Dr Kay Patterson Age Discrimination Commissioner
Referrals and more information
- Legal Aid NSW 1300 888529
- Seniors Rights Service NSW 1800 424 079
- Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline - 1800 628 221
- Seniors Rights Service video and audio resources
- OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network) – 1800 700 600
- Connect Ability – 02 4962 1000
- Staying home leaving violence
- Elder abuse support and mediation service - Relationships Australia 1300 364 277
- 1800 respect - 1800 737 732
- NSW Aboriginal Land Councils – 02 9689 4444
- Speak my language: A community radio project from the Ethnic Communities Council
- Settlement Services International and Northern Settlement Services 49 693 399 43 343 877(Central Coast)
- COTA NSW – 1800 449 102
- Carers NSW - 1800 242 636
- Compass- Guiding action on elder abuse -resources and support directory
- Lifeline 131114 Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
If you need an interpreter, please call the translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450
Music produced by Gambirra. Podcast edited by by Jessica Sullivan from Legal Aid NSW and Bernadette Nguyen from Audiocraft.
Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org