Monday Aug 02, 2021
Hard Conversations: Episode 6 - Dr Kay Patterson Federal Age Discrimination Commissioner talks about elder abuse
‘Hard conversations’ is a 6-part podcast series exploring the complexity of elder abuse.
This final episode features Dr Kay Patterson AO – the federal age discrimination commissioner at the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC). In this informative and engaging interview, Dr Patterson talks with Mary Lovelock, who is the solicitor in charge of the Legal Aid NSW Central Coast Elder Abuse Service. They talk about ageism, how it contributes to elder abuse, and the work of the AHRC to raise awareness about elder abuse.
In this series, you hear from lots of different people about their understanding of elder abuse, the ways they think about it in their communities and how we can start to address it together.
There is no one right answer, but there are lots of things we can do to help people who may be experiencing or are at risk of elder abuse. Dr Patterson says that it takes a whole community to keep their eyes open to prevent elder abuse - starting with an awareness of the signs of elder abuse, and to know where people can get help.
This series has been made in partnership with the Legal Aid NSW Central Coast Elder Abuse Service, and the Central Coast Community Legal Centre.
Previous episodes of hard conversations:
- Ep1: Talking about elder abuse
- Ep2: Working with first nations communities
- Ep3: Working with CALD communities
- Ep4: Engaging with diverse communities
- Ep5: Rural and regional communities
Referrals and more information
These links are mentioned by Dr Patterson in this podcast. For other links and services see the podcast notes for the previous episodes of ‘Hard Conversations’ in the list above.
- National Elder Abuse phone line – 1800ELDERHelp or 1800 353 374
- Legal Aid NSW 1300 888 529
- Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline (NSW) - 1800 628 221
- Australian Human Rights Commission - Age Discrimination
- Australian Human Rights Commission elder abuse projects
- AHRC Elder abuse awareness campaign including video ‘Elder abuse - know the signs’
- AHRC Bookmark - elder abuse signs
- You decide Who decides – or download from publicadvocate.vic.gov.au/your-rights/enduring-power-of-attorney/planning-ahead
- Compass- Guiding action on elder abuse -resources and support
- OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network) – 1800 700 600
- E safety Commissioner
- Relationships Australia- Elder abuse support and mediation service 1300 364 277
- Elder Abuse Action Australia
- NSW Ageing and Disability Commission- tools and resources
- Australian Law Reform Commission: Elder Abuse — A National Legal Response and Recommendations | ALRC
- Council of Attorney General: National Plan to Respond to the Abuse of Older Australians
- Federal Attorney General-Protecting the Rights of Older Australians
- National Australian Research Institute elder abuse resources and research
- Video - Margarita - OPAL Institute
- Australian Institute of Family Studies Elder Abuse reports
- Lifeline 131114 Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
Music by Gambirra.
Editing by Tiffany Dimmack from Audiocraft.
Please send questions, comments and feedback to: email@example.com.