Friday Jun 12, 2020
The Refugee Service answers community worker’s COVID-19 legal questions
In this episode, we speak to Christina Alkhamisi, Civil Solicitor, who answers some frequently asked questions from Community Worker who work with Refugee communities on the COVID-19 changes. She provides us with a clear summary of Public Health Order fines, Centrelink and Immigration changes, and information about where to get more information and help for your clients.
Referrals and more information
- LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529 or visit
- Legal Aid NSW Refugee Service 87136725 or visit https://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/civil-law/refugee-service
- Visit the Legal Aid NSWwebsite to find a local advice service.
- For more information on Work and Development orders, please visit the Legal Aid website at https://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications/factsheets-and-resources/covid-19/covid-19-public-health-orders-what-do-i-need-to-know
- For more information on COVID changes, please visit the LawAccess website at https://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/news-articles/covid19.aspx
- For more information on Centrelink changes please see Legal Aid’s ‘Centrelink in the Time of COVID-19 Podcast’ or visit the Centrelink website.
- Centrelink’s dedicated COVID-19 page — this website is being regularly updated.
- If you need an interpreter, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.