Thursday Sep 03, 2020
Hard conversations-Episode 2: Working with First Nations communities and elder abuse: Central Coast Community Legal Centre and Legal Aid NSW
'Hard conversations' is a 6 part podcast series exploring the complexity of elder abuse.
In this second episode we will hear from:
- Barry Duncan(BJ); an Aboriginal Access Worker with the Central Coast Community Legal Centre, and also the Darkinjung Aboriginal Land Council who will talk about his work with Elders;
- Scott Hawkins - manager of the Aboriginal Service Unit at Legal Aid NSW who will talk about things community organisations can do to engage with Aboriginal communities, and
- Terri a First Nations Elder from the Central Coast, who talks about the complexities of abuse.
Throughout this series you will hear from lots of different people about their understanding of elder abuse, the ways they think about it in their communities and how we can start to address it together.
There is no one right answer, there are lots of things we can do to help people who may be experiencing or are at risk of elder abuse and we will talk about some of them.
This series has been made in partnership with the Legal Aid NSW Central Coast Elder Abuse Service, and the Central Coast Community Legal Centre.
Other episodes of hard conversations:
- Ep1: Talking about elder abuse
- Ep3: Working with CALD communities
- Ep4: Engaging with diverse communities
- Ep5: Rural and regional communities
- Ep6: Dr Kay Patterson Age Discrimination Commissioner
Referrals and more information
- Legal Aid NSW 1300 888 529 and Legal Aid NSW Elder Abuse Service (Central Coast) 02 4324 5611
- Central Coast Community Legal Centre 02 4353 4988
- Darkinjung Local Aboriginal Land Council – 02 4351 2930
- NSW Aboriginal Land Councils – 02 9689 4444
- Mingaletta - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation – 02 4324 7515
- Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline - 1800 628 221
- Seniors Rights Service NSW 1800 424 079
- Seniors Rights Service Reconciliation Action Plan
- ConnectAbility – 02 4962 1000
- OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network) – 1800 700 600
- Elder abuse support and mediation service - Relationships Australia 1300 364 277
- Staying home leaving violence
- 1800 respect - 1800 737 732
- COTA NSW – 1800 449 102
- Carers NSW - 1800 242 636
- https://www.compass.info/– resources and support directory
- Speak my language: A community radio project from the Ethnic Communities Council
- Settlement Services International and Northern Settlement Services 49 693 399 43 343 877(Central Coast)
If you need an interpreter, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.
Music produced by Gambirra.
Edited by Jessica Sullivan Legal Aid NSW
Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org