Monday Feb 01, 2021
Hard Conversations-Episode 3: Working with CALD communities with elder abuse: Jenelyn Terkildsen - ConnectAbility
'Hard conversation's' is a 6 part podcast series exploring the complexity of elder abuse.
In this 3rd episode we talk with Jenelyn Terkildsen -the Multicultural Access Project Officer -from ConnectAbility on the Central Coast about her work and thoughts about elder abuse in culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
Throughout this series you will hear from lots of different people about their understanding of elder abuse, the ways they think about it in their communities and how we can start to address it together.
There is no one right answer, there are lots of things we can do to help people who may be experiencing or are at risk of elder abuse and we will talk about some of them.
This series has been made in partnership with the Legal Aid NSW Central Coast Elder Abuse Service, and the Central Coast Community Legal Centre.
Other episodes of 'Hard conversations':
- Ep1: Talking about elder abuse
- Ep2: Working with first nations communities
- Ep4: Engaging with diverse communities
- Ep5: Rural and regional communities
- Ep6: Dr Kay Patterson Age Discrimination Commissioner
Referrals and more information
- Legal Aid NSW 1300 888 529 - and Legal Aid NSW Elder Abuse Service 02 4324 5611 (Central Coast only)
- ConnectAbility – 02 4962 1000
- Settlement Services International and Northern Settlement Services 49 693 399:43 343 877(Central Coast)
- Speak my language: A community radio project from the Ethnic Communities Council
- Central Coast Community Legal Centre 02 4353 4988
- Staying home leaving violence
- Seniors Rights Service NSW 1800 424 079
- Mingaletta - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation – 02 4324 7515
- Darkinjung Local Aboriginal Land Council – 02 4351 2930
- NSW Aboriginal Land Councils – 02 9689 4444
- Elder abuse support and mediation service - Relationships Australia 1300 364 277
- 1800 respect - 1800 737 732
- COTA NSW – 1800 449 102
- OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network) – 1800 700 600
- Carers NSW - 1800 242 636
- Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline - 1800 628 221
- Compass- Guiding action on elder abuse -resources and support directory
- Lifeline 131114 Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
If you need an interpreter, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.
Music produced by Gambirra. Edited by Jessica Sullivan Legal Aid NSW
Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: email@example.com.